Tuesday, May 14, 2024

At our best, or our worst?


I believe that we are defined by the lowest version of ourselves. We are what we do and say when we have no props or filters. Everyone is wonderful when there is someone to please, or when company (or camera) demands we do things with propriety. 

Our genuine selves are evident only when we interact with (or are affected by) what we do not like. Our core self comes to the fore easily when we are in a position of power- whether to give or help or make a difference - and when there are no consequences expected for us.

Smiling and talking politely to only a certain group of people does not make one a cordial person.  Graciousness has to be a constant, independent of whom it is directed at. If you are not civil to everyone, you are not civil. If you not generous to all, irrespective of their station in society, you are not generous. Altruism is not subjective. If kindness is not universally applied, it’s not kind.

If one has robbed someone of what was rightfully theirs- one is  a criminal. Period. Caught or not. Punished or not. Remorseful or not. Whether the person is a good cook, a smart dresser, is kind to dogs - it does not matter. The negative burden of the wrongdoing is not reduced by being less evil to another.

We are only as nice as we are when we don’t want to be. We are only as calm as when we are stirred to our soul. We are only as faithful as we are at the pits of belief. We are only as strong as we are in our weakest moments. 

I am sure I am pleasant when I am happy. Catch me when I am struggling with my humanity - and then you will know me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I Write

This blog is an attempt to bring out a new twist on accepted notions of society. It is an attempt to get the reader to take off the tinted glasses and look at the world with fresh eyes. If you agree with the ideas of this blog, and think anew, I would consider myself successful. If you do not agree with the thoughts on this blog and cement your own notions, it still made you think, and my work is done.
Look at the world with a refractive lens. The truth will stand out.


If you like my blog, you might want to check out my book for children-

Enchanting Fables (PublishAmerica)