Saturday, October 2, 2010

In close proximity

One of my very dear friends suggested I write on this topic.
It was very apt considering how close we are even though we live on opposite sides of the globe.

It got me thinking on what closeness actually means. We all have someone we like to be with, someone we want to share our thoughts and experiences with. If we are lucky we can do that on a daily basis, if not it is whenever we get to meet up with that person. Today's technology has made interaction so easy, and people so accessible, that physical proximity is not even necessary to trade stories and secrets.

All of us have at least one person we think about almost everyday, from our past or present, who in their very imago influence even our most banausic goings-on. We might buy something for a sister even when we are not sure when we will be meeting. We look at something a friend would have hated and smile. We think of something an old classmate said years ago and make a decision she will probably never know of.

Genuine intimacy is not just venting about what happened at work or at the gym. It means being able to understand what your friend is saying and going through. Sometimes you need the words, sometimes its just knowing the person and the predicament that he/she is in. Regular interaction is not even necessary. I have friends and cousins I meet very rarely but when we do its like there was no gap in our connection. We pick off not where we left off, but right where we are! The ease of talking is only matched with the contentment of knowing that you have someone who knows you, who actually cares.

Some of us have the unmatched blessing of living with our closest friends - be it a spouse, a parent, a sibling, or a child. But then we have close friends who live nowhere near us.

And that is where real friendship is tested. It's not only that they are in your thoughts. It is that you have them in mind even when you make decisions. You imagine their reactions or advice even when you might not have them at that time. I have many times discarded an outfit knowing my mom would not approve. It is the same as my daughter making me buy a shirt I probably would not have considered. My daughter is with me, my mom on the other end of Earth - but they have the same effect on me! (It's a different matter that if both were shopping with me, I would simply be the unimportant, non-participating person who holds the credit card!)

And how can we talk about any kind of social interactions without mentioning Facebook? Yes, I am a Facebook addict, and happily so. I have met friends I had lost touch with for years. And with so many of them it is as if there was a blinking of time that we were not in touch - because they were always in my mind. All that was needed was filling in gaps of where one is in life now. There was no need to build a relationship. Actual closeness means just that. The relationship never fades.

Then there is another kind of camaraderie, probably a new kind , that is engendered by this wonderful networking website. I have friends now who mean a lot to me, people I have never really met but have a deep affection for nevertheless. I learn so much from them as I learn about them, that bonding falls in place naturally.

Togetherness does not require that people be together physically. Of course nothing will ever compare with actually giving someone a hug , or seeing them smile or sharing a coffee. But it is nice to know that someone we love and care for, if not close by, will always be close to us in every other way that matters.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it is strange that I had similar thoughts too. Strange, because I got in touch with you when you are on the other side of the globe. Strange that for quite a few years we lived in the same apartments ( I even attended your wedding) but we barely spoke to each other--probably just knew that we existed--just that. And even so that "barely knew each other" relationship could turn out to be much deeper, much closer inspite of the physical distance!

    Thanks for writing and sharing your thoughts!
    Lots of love,
    Radhi

    ps I am off facebook for a while...just too busy at work..but not busy to read this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I enjoyed reading this. I especially liked the part about how our friends influence our decisions, even when they have no idea that they were involved. So much is written about Facebook being a shallow, narcissistic place, but I think that definition misses the true camaraderie that can happen when people are honest with each other and open to friendship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this piece Sara!I found myself in each line!:-)
    Simple,yet as usual,SO powerful!Physical distance and time really have no effect on emotional closeness and bonding and on the contrary,may even contribute to consolidating a better understanding between people.As they say,distance makes the heart grow fonder:-)
    Friends and people from the past influence our decisions...that is so very true.
    And yes Facebook has done so much for the cause of people reconnecting,bonding,getting a chance to really get to know acquaintances better,bond with them and get a deeper insight into what people are really about.What one posts on FB speaks volumes about him/her.
    Thanx for the article Sarah.....much love,Sabiha <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah for sharing your article. It seems like you put down my thoughts in words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i too totally agree with u i love this medium of being connected without steppin on eachothers toes i know wht every1 is dong at nite when i log in an i love it an i miss ull when ull dont post a comment i love u my facebook family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully well written Sarah! Just came around to reading it, and it is of course still as fresh. A sharing of goals and perceptions makes for closeness, and I (too) can totally relate to your experiences :) Yes, technology keeps removing borders, from the time of invention of the wheel to facebook...allowing people to discover how many more share their beliefs as well as questions.
    Thanks for this very enjoyable piece of writing. :) ~ Piyush

    ReplyDelete

Why I Write

This blog is an attempt to bring out a new twist on accepted notions of society. It is an attempt to get the reader to take off the tinted glasses and look at the world with fresh eyes. If you agree with the ideas of this blog, and think anew, I would consider myself successful. If you do not agree with the thoughts on this blog and cement your own notions, it still made you think, and my work is done.
Look at the world with a refractive lens. The truth will stand out.


If you like my blog, you might want to check out my book for children-

Enchanting Fables (PublishAmerica)