Thursday, February 24, 2011

Women and work

I am trying to figure out why women are generally such an unhappy bunch. I think it is because we have drifted so far away from our natural selves that every day has become a burden. We are unhappy because we never seem to achieve what we need. We do not achieve what we need because we do not seem to know what we want. We do not know what we want because we have our priorities all confused. And we have our priorities confused because we have lost track of the reason we were made: as WOMEN!

The role of women, and men, was designed by our genes. Our gender differences, aptitudes and weaknesses are dictated by our very beings. And whether it is a bane or a boon, the capacity to bring forth the next generation was given solely to women. A power much higher than our limited intelligence put that into effect. God, aliens, or selection by natural evolution if you must : the result was THIS. The primary responsibility of bearing and rearing children was given to the female of the species. It falls in the natural order of things that it is the female who is the homemaker too.

I believe that it is disservice to humanity if we belittle or dismiss a woman's role. It is even more destructive if women themselves denigrate their real purpose in life.

For the life of me, I have never ever understood where the glory lies when riding into the sunset of our lives trying desperately to match a man's career path. A man can never be another man, why then should a woman try to be a man?

I have inveighed against women and careers before - "Woman, be thyself!" But that does not mean I believe we should all be doormats or wallflowers. I am, of course, all for independence. If we look for independence outside ourselves we will only be following a mirage. The only independence that matters, that emancipates and strenghtens, is that of the mind. It is wonderful if you are learning, or earning. There is no substitute for either of them. Financial independence if always empowering. But do it for yourself, not for parents, or husbands, or friends, or fashion. I respect the woman who is out funding herself, or providing the necessary income for her family, just as I respect the man doing the same. The operative word here is necessary. And an extra car, a bigger bigger house or a backyard swimming pool certainly does not qualify as a necessity!

Real emancipation comes from confidence; a recognition of one's own strength, an understanding of one's function. However, the belief that women need to go out and compete with men in exactly the same fields, in exactly the same way, just because it is a male bastion, reeks more of subjugation to me than of liberty. It seems to me that women again are succumbing to pressure from society, which has always leaned more on us. We have always borne the brunt of the confines of societal rules. Women have been required to bring in a dowry that would determine their worth; now it has not changed to assumptions that women should bring in, if not the bread, at least some cake! We are, all over again, being forced into a mould that is not to our benefit. It is a facile proposition that self-actualization is dependent on a career. If the need to 'work' is predicated on a lack of self-esteem, or a desire to 'prove oneself', then even heading a multinational company is never going to be satisfying. We can not be free until we are free to think for ourselves. And adhering to images that others have created for us, and expect from us, is not liberation. I can understand throwing away corsets for a more humane form of undergarment, but then do we have to throw off all our clothes in the process? I value freedom and liberty more than anything else in life. It should apply to all aspects of life, to all strata of society, to all ages and gender of people. Women's liberation is not something as trite as burning bras, or arm-wrestling contests. It is an awakening of womanhood- in all its glory, in its own skin.

A quick, albeit superficial, observation of the world tells me those cultures are quicker to accept women leaders where women still mainatain, by and large, their traditional role. Sri Lanka, India, even Pakistan, have had women leading their countries. In the US, there is still tremendous reservation in the concept of having a woman for President. In a liberated society where women believe they can do exactly what they think they should, there is a startlingly large percentage of abused women. How horribly sad it is that there are, here in the United States of America, more shelters for animals than battered women! So wearing pants or having exactly the same crepuscular roles between men and women ("You want to do dishes or take out the garbage?" "will you pay for utility bills or groceries?") does not ensure contentment - or even respect.

Then there is the rant I hear often - “it is not fair” - everytime we learn that women are paid less, or hired based on looks. Let us face it. We will be judged by what we portray. We display our physical characteristics more, then it is those very characteristics that will be acknowledged first. And women do have other concerns they are respsonsible for. They do take off from work for children, to have babies, to get married. It is a fact. Employers will take that into account. Don’t go by averages and statistics. If individually your work is good, you will get the recognition - and the pay to match. Stop whining! Either accept your uniqueness and revel in it, or complain and make yourself unhappy. It will not change facts. The fact that the job market reflects the inherent, inalienable difference between a man and a woman, and their approach to any task, is a actually very fair.To be treated equally is not always fair. One must acknowledge differences and treat people accordingly.

We know we are special. Do not go about ruining it by making us 'equal'.

6 comments:

  1. Very well written. So much inline with how I think, but didn't know how to present my thoughts together like this. Loved reading this. Hope you don't mind if I share this link with my friends on FB. Please let me know.

    BTW this is Priya, Radhi's friend :-). Happen to see this on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sarah. I have yet to see a woman who has achieved a very high level of success and is truthfully "happy" as a mother, wife, sister, daughter, etc. If she says she is happy, I would gauge the validity by asking those around her. What relationships is she sacrificing to gain this stature? It all ends up requiring a big sacrifice...and for what? To show the world that you can do it? Not a good enough excuse if you ask me. There are very few women in this world that can achieve high levels of success and maintain their relationships and sanity. I'm not saying it's impossible, but that not everyone can do it.

    Want to stay home and spend time with your children? Absolutely wonderful! I've done it myself and loved that time away from my career. But do it with purpose and with the mindset that you want to do the best job possible and that you do not live in isolation or in a vacuum. There is still so much that can be done for yourself even as a stay at home parent. Be the best mother/wife you can be but do it with purpose and 100% devotion with no regrets. Regret is a dangerous thing which can make you very resentful towards your children and your family.

    On the other hand, if you want to work, work with the intention that you will not put work before yourself or your family (whether you have children or are married or not). Work should be a source of fulfillment for the challenge that it is and nothing more. It helps you grow intellectually and gives you drive. But it should not define who you are. If you are a CEO or a entry level worker-bee, it should not define your worth, ability or intellect. And you certainly shouldn't do it for the money, because as most people know, running after money gets old real quick, especially if it brings challenges to the relationships in your life. In my mind, the only good reason for a woman to work merely for the money is if it is temporary and there is a real need (spouse lost job, family emergency, etc.) Running after money is a very good way to lose yourself and your relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely said Sarah .I completely believe it .Sometimes we women make false targets for ourselves ,thinking that they are going to give us happiness and an equal status with men .But what we need to do is just think what is really valuable. .I completely agree that we were created with a role in mind just as the men were .If we each play our role trust me it would make things so much simpler .Like you said we need be confident in our own skin .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    I read your blog when you solicited comments on fb :-) and wanted to comment since. I finally got around to it. I have three things to say:

    How do you know what the true nature of women is? It has only now become possible for a woman in all (well, many) sections of society to try to achieve after fame, name, glory, money, a certain kind of intellectual satisfaction, and a chance to prove her competence in varied fields. And if so many women want it, then that may well be what she truly wants. And as these options open up to more women, many more will take advantage of them.

    Yes, women struggle with work-life balance, and proving themselves in the rat-race. Well, so do men. Perhaps women struggle a little more with the work-life balance, but that can easily change (and inevitably will change) if men took on more responsibility in the home. I think a changing society has to go through some pain, but the question to ask is what does the ideal society look like. And I think many many women will want to prove their mettle in a domain different from, and perhaps in addition to, home and children.

    Lastly, I think it is worthwhile to note that the female leaders of India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and also Bangladesh and Indonesia, are all daughters or wives of male leaders. That says something about our society for sure, but it's not necessarily a positive indicator about the status of women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to read and write on the blog! I really appreciate it.
    I really liked your take on it too, but I do not think we differ in our opinions. I have spoken of women who take on jobs because they feel pressured to 'prove' themselves, and who use a job to add 'value' to an empty shell. Like you said- to geta career to show their mettle, or do something they themselves REALLY want to- that is exactly the kind of woman I am asking her to be!!
    Please keep reading! I look forward to your comments!♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't have said it any better.....

    Sometimes we make our own choices and at times are thrown into situations....the idea is to embrace it if isn't a bad one or totally against your own wishes, dreams, ambitions and be proud of what or who you are....change it if you can or wish to....

    It definitely is belittling to yourself when you constantly justify or try to explain yourself to others about yourself.... freedom certainly comes from first your acceptance of yourself and the world will respect who you are....its not about earning loads of money or sitting on a powerful chair....you can still come home to a man or family who doesn't care.....

    So empowerment is within us and for us and only us, not for a man to say oh well done lady.....

    I have also seen women use being one to their advantage in twisted ways, the damsel in distress angle; And yet shout and scream about how strong they are or better they are 'coz they don't accept financial help from men.... hello, be honest to yourself.... think there is major confusion on the issue of being financially free and being really empowered....

    I work all the time in various programmes, not for money, for the fulfilment and to keep busy. I ask my husband for every penny I spend..but I have stopped feeling sheepish about it.... earning was not an issue, its choices I made and I am happy with it,,,and that leads to the people around me respecting me and accepting me for the role I play in the family. THAT to me is real freedom.....

    Have to tons to say but I keep getting cut off with some fluctuation here so will quickly sign off.....I cannot say for others but for myself, have simplified my life to what is really important in maintaining a balanced and healthy environment amidst the people I really care about....and am free from all pressures of social norms......

    ReplyDelete

Why I Write

This blog is an attempt to bring out a new twist on accepted notions of society. It is an attempt to get the reader to take off the tinted glasses and look at the world with fresh eyes. If you agree with the ideas of this blog, and think anew, I would consider myself successful. If you do not agree with the thoughts on this blog and cement your own notions, it still made you think, and my work is done.
Look at the world with a refractive lens. The truth will stand out.


If you like my blog, you might want to check out my book for children-

Enchanting Fables (PublishAmerica)